RFC: What to do with Mozilla

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Oct 15 12:40:46 PDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 02:12:44PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> As some of you may be aware, Mozilla 1.5 was released today (along with
> Firebird and Thunderbird updates which will be handled soon).  The
> question is, what do we do with Mozilla 1.4.x?  Do you resurrect
> mozilla-vendor to hold 1.4.x for a while, or do we just update
> www/mozilla to 1.5, and say "to hell" with 1.4.x?  Note, 1.6a is due out
> shortly as well, and mozilla-devel will be updated to that.

I would suggest to resurrect mozilla-vendor for as long as it takes
bento to iterate over all the ports. That way you have a trivial
band-aid "fix" in case something does break. If nothing breaks, then
mozilla-vendor can be put in the attic again after having lived for
as short as a couple of days. If something did break then it lives
for as long as it takes to fix the breakage.

The name (ie mozilla-vendor) does not have to match common parctice
or does not have to be intuitive. The port is not created to be used.
it's created as a safety-net. You might as well call it mozilla-oops.

My $0.02

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net