Ports conflicts: `lib/libiberty.a'

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Fri Oct 10 05:24:34 PDT 2003

Michael Nottebrock wrote:

> Lev Serebryakov wrote:
>
>> Hello ports,
>>
>>   Many my ports have conflicts with other ones.
>>   And conflicting file is one: `lib/libiberty.a'.
>>   This file is installed by many variants of gvv, binutils & gdb.
>>   But I don't think, that this library is ever used after instllation.
>>   Each port build it again and again.
>>
>>   I don't think, it is good idea to "CONFLICTS=" all these binutils &
>>   gcc.
>
> AFAIK libiberty is actually indeed forked across all those projects and
> CONFLICTS would be correct. It all usually works out, but there's no
> guarantee...

The conflicting files are only sample files, listing all files for all ports
would make the list too complex. Conflicting files include:

devel/*-binutils
  include/ansidecl.h
  include/bfd.h
  include/bfdlink.h
  lib/libbfd.a
  lib/libbfd.la
  lib/libiberty.a
  lib/libopcodes.a
  lib/libopcodes.la

devel/*-gcc:
  bin/cpp
  bin/gcov
  lib/libiberty.a

and I would be surprised if I install devel/m6811-gcc to play around a bit,
deinstall it because I don't use it any longer and devel/mingw32-gcc stops
working. The same is true for include/ansidecl.h...

If I were willing to accept this I could install the ports with
DISABLE_CONFLICTS=yes