Question of port name change

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Oct 9 01:29:39 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 10:20:38AM +0200, Jose R.Rey wrote:
> Salute
>
> Recently one of the ports i maintain has changed the project name,
> ive been thinking if i need to make a new port and mark as deleted the
> old one,
> or make a diff and submit as usual, what will be the best option?

Since the new port will still refer to the old project, we will want to
preserve the old port's history: version changes, patches, etc.  This is
done by a so-called 'repo-copy', or a CVS repository copy: the FreeBSD
CVS repository administrators will copy the old port's directory under a
new name, so that a new directory will appear in the ports tree with the
old contents.  After that, the new directory's contents will be updated
to reflect the new port, and the old one will be removed.

For more information, take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/ports.html#AEN1245

What you should do now is copy the port to a new name on your system,
then make a patch updating the port and changing its PORTNAME and so on,
and submit the patch in a PR, explicitly stating that a repo-copy from
the old port is needed.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
Thit sentence is not self-referential because "thit" is not a word.