Ports startup scripts in /etc/rc.d (Re: 5.2-BETA and related ports issues)

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 30 21:27:47 PST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Richard Coleman wrote:

> > (2) Reevaluate the order at routine points in the boot where new scripts
> >     might now be available (due to file system mounts or whatever).
> >     Essentially "insert the new cards into the deck, and shuffle".  This
> >     requires rethinking of our current approach, which assumes a static
> >     order is created once at the start of the boot by rcorder(8).  The
> >     devil will be in the big picture *and* the details of the
> >     implementation.
> >
> > (3) Add /local/etc/rc.d or /local/rc.d or /etc/local/rc.d or the like, a
> >     new directory that third party applications are allowed to modify
> >     during install, and that will be present for the creation of the
> >     static ordering by rcorder(8) early in the boot.  The devil will be in
> >     the bikeshed, but the implementation is easy.
> <...>
> >
> > I'm actually leaning towards (2) as being the best solution, as it's easy
> > and functional.
>
> I think this message sums up the options quite nicely.
>
> I like option 2 the best, with option 3 a close second.  I think either
> would be an acceptable compromise.
>
> Option 1 abandons the ability for read-only /usr, which many people
> like.  That and the NFS problems that Robert mentioned should rule this
> out.
>
> But I like anything over doing nothing (option 4).

Having written the e-mail, I should really have indicated that either (2)
or (3) is a winner, and (3) is probably easier.  Comes of spending a lot
of time on the description of the solutions, and little time on the
opinion :-).

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research