Configure error compiling emacs

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 15 09:23:52 PST 2003

On Nov. 14, 2003 Mike Rosing <eresrch at eskimo.com> wrote:

>Howdy Maintainer,
>
>attached is the output from a "make" command in /usr/ports/editors/emacs.
>It goes into and infinite loop.  Config.log is attached as is pkg listing.
>I do not yet have X running, I was hoping to use emacs to help configure
>my system.  I guess I'm stuck with vi for a while.
>
>Mike Rosing

I'm a bit of a newbie, so forgive if this is wrong.

First, according to the make output, the problem is actually occurring
while building gettext. (See the dependency lines at the top of the
output.)

I'm assuming that the "infinite loop" you are talking about are the
apparently cyclical and redundant configure checks. I'm not sure
what version of the port you are trying to build, but I also noticed
this behavior with a recent cvs build (and almost submitted a PR
on it :).) If you look closely at the output of your run (and as it was
in my case), the checks are not entirely redundant. Try just letting
it run for a while longer; in my case it eventually got to the building
stage.

(btw, checking make here shows that configure does produce more
output than your error log had...)

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Clayton