portrookies for early adopters

Oliver Eikemeier eikemeier at fillmore-labs.com
Sat Nov 15 03:23:17 PST 2003

Dear ports@ subscribers,

- you are not a FreeBSD committer and want to
  - maintain your own ports
  - show the value of your port
  - demonstrate your abilities

- you are already a FreeBSD committer and want to
  - test an experimental port until it stabilizes
  - find some interesting ports to commit
  - want to do joint work with non-committers

- you like to live on the edge and test the latest ports

then portrookies may be for you.

Port rookies are port candidates managed in an external CVS directory. This
should be a collective effort to help people gaining experience in creating
and maintaining FreeBSD ports without being obliged to the high standards of
the ports collection. It may also be a great place to test experimental ports
until they stabilize.

The idea is that committers take the stabilized ports (and maintainers) and
migrate them to the FreeBSD ports tree.

Portrookies is inspired by the recent discussion on ports@:
  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2003-November/thread.html#6320
and is currently in its pre-alpha stage, no documentation has been written.
The SourceForge project page is at:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/portrookies/

If you want to try portrookies you have to follow the following three steps:

1.) Patch bsd.port.mk and bsd.port.subdir.mk (proposed as a follow-up to PR 59194):

  fetch http://portrookies.sf.net/categories.patch
  patch -p0 -d /usr/ports < categories.patch

  If you keep your ports collection up-to-date with CVSup, you'll have to
  apply the patch after each update.

2.) Save the following file to /usr/ports/Makefile.local:

  cd /usr/ports
  fetch http://portrookies.sf.net/Makefile.local

3.) Get the portrookies tree:

  cd /usr/ports
  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portrookies login (just press ENTER)
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portrookies co -P rookies

4.) Subscribe to portrookies-users:

Keep your portrookies up-to-date with:
  cd /usr/ports/rookies; cvs -q update -dP

To get rid of portrookies, simply do
  rm -Rf /usr/ports/rookies; pkg_delete 'rookie-*'

If you want to roll your own rookie, do the following:

1.) make sure your speak fluently CVS.
  No help will be provided, and I don't have the time to repair major damage.

2.) Study the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook:
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

3.) repeat 1.) and 2.)

4.) If you have no SourceForge account, get one at
  http://sourceforge.net/account/register.php

5.) Send me your SourceForge id, and I'll give you CVS access.
  Remember Austin Powers: behave!

Thanks and credits go to Thomas Klausner <wiz at NetBSD.org> for pkgsrc-wip.

Oliver