Ability for maintainers to update own ports

Adam Weinberger adamw at magnesium.net
Tue Nov 11 03:24:07 PST 2003

>> (11.11.2003 @ 0436 PST): Sergey Matveychuk said, in 0.1K: <<
> > Submit lots of PRs, and a mentor will get you. As far as I'm concerned,
>
> How many are "lots"?
>> end of "Re: Ability for maintainers to update own ports" from Sergey Matveychuk <<

OK, look.

If you want to be a committer, you just have to show that you will be
productive member of the team of committers. It's that simple.

You need to troll the lists and answer questions until you exist as one
of the list experts. Want a ports commit bit? A great start is to show
that you can teach others how to use the ports tree and the available
tools -- and that shows that you know it yourself.

Make PRs that are more than just syntactically correct. Make them
informative and prudent. Don't go overkill with knobs and stuff, but
make the contents of the PR just intricate enough that committers have
to pay active attention to it, thus triggering in their mind, "I don't
have the time to deal with this kind of work. He should have a commit
bit and do it himself."

Most importantly, make a name for yourself. Be somebody within the
FreeBSD sphere of existance. Befriend committers, and involve yourself
in FreeBSD-related projects and activities. If you have a friend who's
willing to be your de facto committer, then you're set. Learn from
this mentor-of-sorts, and then urge him to go to the appropriate voting
body when you feel you deserve a commit bit.

Once people can vouch for you, and your introduction is already
associated with somebody else, and you have a clear trail of things
you've done to improve FreeBSD, you'll get a commit bit.

Look, we have tons of submitters, and they're all individual people,
just like you, who do hard work and we recognize them as best we can.

If you want to be a committer, stand out from all the others by becoming
a part of the many things that FreeBSD are that exist outside of the CVS
repos.

All said, if you still want to find out whether people think you should
be a committer or not, shoot an email to portmgr, core, or doceng.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
vectors.cx	>>  adam at vectors.cx	>>  http://www.vectors.cx