Question about the perl port

Matt Smith matt at xtaz.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 01:21:01 PST 2003

I was wondering what the roadmap is for the perl ports? We currently
have lang/perl5 and lang/perl5.8. Every port that you install as default
depends on perl5 which is currently 5.6.1. 5.8 has been the production
stable release for a while now, in fact they don't even mention 5.6.1 on
their website.

This morning I was going to deinstall my 5.6.1 port and install the 5.8
one. I noticed that they are called lang/perl5 and lang/perl5.8. I can
understand this format if 5.8 was a development version but it isn't any
longer.

Is lang/perl going to stay as 5.6 forever or will 5.8 take it's place at
some point?

Matt.