Rotting PRs reminder

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Thu Nov 6 12:44:16 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 05:53:17PM +0100, Stefan Walter wrote:
> Greg Lewis, 05.11.03, 19:27h CET:
> > On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:23:25AM +0100, Stefan Walter wrote:
> > > these two PRs for new ports have been around for almost four months
> > > without even a single comment:
> > >
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/54335
> > > (PPower4 - Post processor for PDF presentations made with (La)TeX)
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/54372
> > > (FoilTeX - a collection of LaTeX files for making foils/slides)
> > >
> > > If there's anything wrong with them, it's unlikely for me to notice
> > > unless someone points it out to me - they do work for me without any
> > > problems.
> >
> > Looking at them briefly...
>
> Thanks, your comments made me look up a few things I should have known
> earlier.
>
> > The FoilTeX do-extract looks suspiciously like it should be a build
> > target rather than an extract.
>
> In a way, the process also looks like an extraction to me, but I don't
> mind; it's a do-build now.

Thanks!

> > Both ports look like you could use %%EXAMPLESDIR%% and %%DOCSDIR%% in
> > the packing list.
>
> Did that, plus a few more of those.
>
> > Why is mktexlsr not just run during post-install instead of printing
> > a message saying one should do so?
>
> You're right, I changed that, too. It still has to be done manually when
> installing via pkg_add, though, so I kept the message.

Why not create a pkg-install script to do it?  That will be run during
pkg_add.  Something simple like this should do it:

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$2" = "POST-INSTALL" ]; then
	${LOCALBASE}/bin/mktexlsr
fi

If you wanted to avoid duplication, you could then call this script from
the Makefile's post-install target instead of doing an explicit mktexlsr,
e.g.

post-install:
	${SETENV} LOCALBASE=${LOCALBASE} ${SH} ${PKGDIR}/pkg-install ${PKGNAME} POST-INSTALL

> > The PPower4 port should install its JAR in JAVAJARDIR, as defined by
> > bsd.java.mk.
>
> It now does. I didn't know about that one.
>
> The new shar files are attached to the PRs now.

Great.  I think they are almost ready to commit :).  Let me know if you're
going to make the pkg-install change and I will commit the ports when you
are done.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com