FreeBSD Bash Completion port

Jean-Baptiste Quenot jb.quenot at caraldi.com
Thu Nov 6 10:31:40 PST 2003

Dear Kirk,

Thank you for maintaining the bash  completion port for FreeBSD.  I just
wanted to report that textproc/gsed  is required by bash-completion.  If
you look at the bash_completion script, you will notice that line:

$ grep gsed /usr/local/etc/bash_completion
[ $UNAME != Linux ] && have gsed && alias sed=gsed

Because  Bash Completion  is maintained  on  a Linux  platform, the  sed
invocations fail completely on FreeBSD.  Thus  an alias to gsed is setup
on non-Linux platforms.  This is a bug report that I submitted to Ian M.
in June 2002:

----------------------------
revision 1.360
date: 2002/06/17 16:38:37;  author: ianmacd;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -1

- check for non-Linux and presence of gsed (GNU sed). If it's there, alias
  it to sed.

So to sum up, bash completion is only useful if gsed is installed.

Best regards,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot
http://caraldi.com/jbq/