how do I not strip the binaries?

Udo Schweigert Udo.Schweigert at siemens.com
Fri May 30 07:42:08 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 08:51:26 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> According to /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:

## INSTALL_PROGRAM - A command to install binary executables.  (By
##                    default, also strips them, unless ${STRIP} is
##                    overridden to be the empty string).

> For debugging purposes, I don't want the binaries stripped.  I've
> tried defining STRIP in various places (command line, /etc/make.conf)
> but can't stop the stripping:
>
> /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel -s -m 754 bacula-sd
> /usr/local/sbin/bacula-sd

The STRIP variable only applies if the BSD-make AND ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} is
used and wasn't replaced by another definition. Many ported software uses
it's own definition of INSTALL_PROGRAM. I guess that you were talking about
sysutils/bacula, which has (after the configure-step) the following
definition in it's top-level-Makefile:

INSTALL_PROGRAM = /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel -s -m 754

The only way to change that, is to patch the Makefile(s).

Best regards

Udo Schweigert
--
Udo Schweigert, Siemens AG   | Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
CT IC CERT, Siemens CERT     | Fax        : +49 89 636 41166
D-81730 München / Germany    | email      : Udo.Schweigert at siemens.com