Debugging X11 Server

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun May 25 04:36:22 PDT 2003

Getting profiling to work with Xfree86 server:

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 09:54:30PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>You can try adding the missing symbols to xf86syms.c - XFree86 uses
>its own runtime linker for modules.

Thanks for that.  I think I've bumped into xf86sym.c previously when
tracking down a problem.  Unfortunately, it's not immediately obvious
(to me) how to include a reference to '.mcount' in C code.  I could
have studied the gcc documentation but Eric came up with an alternative:

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 10:33:15PM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
>You could compile all the modules into the server by adding "#define
>DoLoadableServer NO" to your host.conf when you compile XFree86-4-Server
>(see scripts/configure for other defines that are added).

This almost worked.  It resulted in an unresolved 'ELO2300' which I
fixed by removing elo2300 from XInputDrivers (I don't need it and
this was quicker than working out why the reference was generated).

Thanks to both of you - profiling now works.  I've located the cause
of the poor performance, all that's left is working out how to fix it.

Peter