Debugging X11 Server

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat May 24 21:50:25 PDT 2003

[Please copy me in any followups]

I'm trying to locate a performance problem in the X server built via
ports on -STABLE.  I thought that adding '-pg' would provide a simple
way to locate the problematic code but whilst XFree86-4-Server
compiles with '-pg', it won't run, dying with lots of unresolved
'.mcount' symbols in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a (and I
presume that's just the first archive it tries to load).  I presume
the problem is that the runtime loader in XServer can't resolve the
.mcount that is statically loaded in XFree86.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Peter