Serious bug in math/superlu port (with fix)

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 20:08:15 PDT 2003

 --- Nakata Maho <chat95 at mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp> wrote: > Hi,

> my /etc/make.conf is just like follwings(partially, of
> course):
>
> CXXFLAGS+= -pipe -O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro
> CFLAGS+=   -pipe -O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro
> FFLAGS+= -pipe -O4 -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=pentiumpro
> -fstrength-reduce -funroll-loops -fexpensive-optimizations
> -ffast-math -malign-double

OK, FFLAGS is not documented in the example make.conf, dumb me.

> Anyway, it should be much better to use math/atlas instead of
> using BLAS,
> which is the fastest blas implimentation, and lapack is also
> paritally
> implimented. You want to use atlas on sparc64 platform? yes,
> it doesn't compile, reported by kris...

It's faster but isn't size important too?? In the case of the
superlu patch I changed BLAS from BUILD_DEPENDS to RUN_DEPENDS
precisely to hint out that even when you need to link it with
BLAS, you can use any BLAS.

Well... I don't know what to think of BLAS.. it's an important
port but there are not many ports using it so there is no policy
unto which should be the "official" BLAS. FWIW, there's also an
optimized version of BLAS for pentiums somewhere. (I recall I
posted the URL some years ago, but nobody ported it.)

cheers,

    Pedro.