HEADS UP: Ports are now frozen

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri May 23 10:50:26 PDT 2003

Jens Rehsack <rehsack at liwing.de> writes:

> I ask how is a situation managed when a port patially breaks with
> the base system but the ports tree is frozen. Because of the new
> OpenSSL, mod_php4 in version 4.3.1 won't build with OpenSSL, but
> the upcoming 4.3.2 will do. The php-4.3.2RC4 is out and the
> 4.3.2-RELEASE will come in next 1-3 weeks. Can this port becomes
> committed whether the ports tree is frozen or not or should it marked
> as broken when OpenSSL is used?

Well, the ports freeze is meant to stabilize ports that ship with
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE to give a somewhat stable collection of packages,
rather than a snapshot with a lot of ports broken. This does NOT imply
that the port is never updated after that.

I myself have committed bogofilter 0.13.0 + FreeBSD-specific fixes
because bogofilter 0.13.1 would not have made FreeBSD 5.1 in time, and
the features of this beta-state software in 0.13.0 have been requested
by many and have had some testing already, so this was hopefully a safe
bet (no complaints yet). Same with PHP: 4.3.2r4 is in the ports, and
appears to be good enough.

_critical_ fixes will be accepted into the ports tree if you ask the
right person (who is authorized to commit during freeze, likely this
takes release engineer or portsmgr approval or something), but if it is
not broken, now is _not_ the time to change it.

--
Matthias Andree