documentation for the ports system?

Tom Hukins tom at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 18 12:55:35 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 08:22:18PM +0200, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:

> I know the Porter's Hanbook, but what I want to ask is:
>
> Is there anywhere a documentation for the ports system?

The Porter's Handbook documents the Ports system better than anything
else.

> How are the /var/db/pkg/* files are created.  Where comes the origin
> from and so on.  How does dynamic pkg-plist creating work?  (In ports
> which do not have a pkg-plist file)...
>
> Is there anywhere a docu for that?

The person creating or updating the port looks after these files.
Semi-automatic pkg-plist generation tools exist. See section 17 of the
Porter's Handbook:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/porting-autoplist.html

Tom