'Re-versioning' a port?

Volker Stolz stolz at i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed May 14 01:48:21 PDT 2003

For www/eldav.el I've been using the version from the master file's
CVS-tag because it was a simple Lisp-file distributed as plain text.
However, recently the author finally decided to package some additional
files into a tarball and use a versiong scheme. So, while the last
FreeBSD port version was 1.17, the author's version now is 0.7!

I'd like to update the port but am rather stymied. Of course the
FreeBSD port's version should correspond to the version on the
master site, but I've got no idea how to get them aligned without
screwing up the versions. I suppose the author doesn't want to
change his versioning scheme just because of the FreeBSD port :)

Any suggestions are appreciated! Is there a standard procedure
for handling this?

Regards, Volker
--
http://www-i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/stolz/ *** PGP *** S/MIME