radeon 7500 and xdm session exit = reboot

M. L. Dodson bdodson at scms.utmb.EDU
Mon Mar 31 12:38:51 PST 2003

Maybe I'm doing something wrong because this seems to be a working
combo for a lot of people.  Here's what I see:

boot up into xdm (/etc/ttys start method)
log on
work, web browse, edit, etc
log out -> reboot (this happens every time).

I've not seen any evidence left behind by the reboot, the screen
just blanks followed about 30 sec later by the BIOS splash screen.

This behavior is observed independently of setting of
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT env variable, and is NOT seen with a Matrox G550
or G400 (with only obvious changes to XF86Config).  I.e., it seems to
be Radeon-specific.  (By the way, what happened to the switch which
turns on building the mga_hal module?  I need it to have the Matrox
G550 speak digital to my flat panel.)

Seems to be a similar problem with startx also, but I have not followed
that up.

Details:

Radeon 7500

Update from 4.2.x (latest from before the appearance of the 4.3
port) using portupgrade -R.  port version: XFree86-4.3.0,1

I also applied the patch as per the opengl web site directions:
drm-stable-20030318.diff

Built a new kernel in addition to just installing the new kernel
modules.  Same results.

relevant items in /boot/loader.conf:
agp_load="YES"
radeon_load="YES"

Window manager (in case that matters) was plain jane mwm from the
open motif port (which I also upgraded).  Session exit was by
selecting "quit" in the root window.
I also upgraded the Mesa version with no improvement.

uname -a (lines wrapped by me):FreeBSD histidine.utmb.edu 4.8-RC \
FreeBSD 4.8-RC #0: Tue Mar 18 10:00:59 CST 2003     \
bdodson at histidine.utmb.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HISTIDINE  i386

This happen on two different machines, a P4 at work and a P3 at
home; both Intel motherboards that have been really solid.

TIA,
Bud Dodson
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson at scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790