FORBIDDEN ports scheduled for removal

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 27 18:00:31 PST 2003

On Friday, 28 March 2003 at 12:11:46 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 March 2003 at 17:31:19 -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Dear Port Maintainers,
>>
>> The following ports have been marked FORBIDDEN for at least 4 months
>> and are scheduled for removal after May 1 2003.  Please check for any
>> updates to your ports and/or discuss the vulnerabilities with the
>> developers.  If I do not hear anything from you before May 1 these
>> ports will be removed as scheduled.
>>
>> print/ghostview
>
> I wouldn't be happy to see this one go.  If I could find the Bugtraq
> report, I'd take a look at fixing it.

OK, found it at http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/5808.  Discussion
says:

  gv is a freely available, open source Portable Document Format (PDF)
  and PostScript (PS) viewing utility. It is available for Unix and
  Linux operating systems.

  It has been reported that an insecure sscanf() function exists in
  gv. Due to this function, an attacker may be able to put malicious
  code in the %%PageOrder: portion of a file. When this malicious file
  is opened with gv, the code would be executed in the security
  context of the local user.

Note that this refers to gv, not ghostview.  It's also incorrect with
ghostview 1.5.  The binary doesn't contain a sscanf() function.  I've
tried the exploit, and it didn't work.  I'll check further, but I
think this one can be allowed again.

Greg