Request for maintenance: Opera ports

Carl Mascott cmascott at att.net
Thu Jun 26 15:04:54 PDT 2003

On April 8, 2003 I e-mailed the maintainer (des at freebsd.org)
of the native Opera port to report an error in the port for
Opera 6.11.  I asked him to check for the same error in the
port for Opera 6.12.  The check requires typing one ldd command.
I never got an answer to my e-mail.

On June 13, 2003 I e-mailed the maintainer again to report
that both the linux-opera 6.12 and the opera 6.12 ports have
the same error I reported in opera 6.11 on April 8.  The
maintainer has not fixed either error.

The error is the same in both ports: there is an erroneous
dependency upon libpng.so.  Both linux-opera and opera are
statically linked with libpng: libpng.so is not required.

I understand that there is a policy that if the port maintainer
does not maintain the port, one can ask here for someone
else to maintain the port.  Since it has now been over 2 1/2
months since I first contacted the port maintainer, can someone
else please fix this error in linux-opera and opera, so that
users will not be installing unneeded support software?  Thanks.

P.S. The fix requires deleting one line each from two
Makefiles.