make options (was Re: FreeBSD Port: mozilla-devel-1.4b)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 23:51:34 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:54:15AM -0400, Brandon S. Allbery  KF8NH wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 01:35, Thierry Thomas wrote:
> > Le Mar 24 jui 03 à  6:00:23 +0200, parv <parv_fm at emailgroups.net>
> >  écrivait :
> > > in message <200306232250.11318.x at Vex.Net>, wrote Tim Middleton
> > > thusly...
> > >
> > > Oh crap!  I hate those dialog windows; i tolerate(d) it during
> > > sysinstall.  I much prefer command line switch/option way.

> > > ...as long as it is not the only way and things can be
> > > passed/specified/shown in pain text.
> >
> > Seconded!
>
> That scheme would be much less annoying if ports that used it would save
> the configuration and *not pop up the dialog during upgrades* unless
> there are significant changes to available options.

I'd like to see a +OPTIONS file as part of the pkg data
(ie. /var/db/pkgs/foo-9.9.9/+OPTIONS) -- both for the purpose of
making options sticky over upgrades and also so that ports that
require their dependencies to be compiled with certain settings have a
reasonable mechanism for checking that has been done -- the www/horde2
port is an example.  Running ldd(1) to grok options settings by the
linked shlibs seems less than optimal to me, and it doesn't happen
when installing via packages.

Unfortunately it seems that both the '-o' and -O' options to pkg_info
are already in use.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way