Upgrading netpbm

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Tue Jun 10 02:11:07 PDT 2003

At 01:59 PM 6/10/03, you wrote:
>d58573.jpg Re Upgrading netpbm.ems<file://C:\Program
>Files\Eudora\attach\Re Upgrading netpbm.ems <0880.0002>>
>

>*** PGP Signature Status: unknown
>*** Signer: Unknown, Key ID = 0x68E840A5
>*** Signed: 6/10/03 8:59:37 PM
>*** Verified: 6/10/03 2:49:47 PM
>*** BEGIN PGP VERIFIED MESSAGE ***
>
>On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 11:14:35AM +0700, Roger Merritt wrote:
> > I've just been able to get my old server back up after a power-supply
> > problem, and I started bringing it up-to-date. The first thing I tried,
> > after cvsup'ing was the docbook metaport. It failed, so I dropped down the
> > tree a little bit. I tried 'portupgrade -R netpbm'. It failed, so I deleted
> > netpbm and jpeg from my ports tree and re-cvsup'ed. Failed again, with:
> > >cc -c
> -I/usr/ports/graphics/netpbm/work/netpbm-10.14/converter/ppm/ppmtompeg -I.
> > >-I/usr/ports/graphics/netpbm/work/netpbm-10.14/converter/ppm/ppmtompeg/
> headers
> > >-I/usr/local/include \
> > >    -O -pipe -march=3Dpentiumpro  -o jpeg.o jpeg.c
> > >jpeg.c:26: jpeglib.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > What should I do next?
>
>Clean out your old installed cruft first..either blow away /usr/local
>and /usr/X11R6 completely, or use portupgrade to manage your ports and
>use the example in the pkg_which manpage to locate stale installed
>files that should be removed.

Errmmm. I don't think I'm understanding you correctly. I wouldn't really
mind nuking everything under /usr/X11R6, because I did it when I changed
from XFree86-3 to -4, but it would take a lot of time to get things back
the way I like them, and I'd be really scared to zap everything under
/usr/local.

I'm already using portupgrade -- the problem looks to me like a header file
missing from the port tarball. When I had a similar problem trying to
install some perl module ports, it was solved by installing perl 5.6.1 from
the ports, so I was hoping someone would point me to some dependency that
I'm missing in this case.

--
Roger