Build options question

Clement Laforet sheepkiller at cultdeadsheep.org
Sat Jun 7 13:05:45 PDT 2003

On 07 Jun 2003 15:42:41 -0400
Mike Patterson <mpatters at cs.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> At the risk of starting another bikeshed discussion: is it generally
> preferred that ports with many options disable those options by
> default, or enable them?
>
> I ask because I'm preparing to update deskutils/logjam2 to the new
> release version, and last version I made it disable the extra stuff
> (XMMS music detection, using gtkhtml, etc) by default, but I'm
> wondering if that's the preferred behaviour.

Hi Mike,

IMHO, it depends to port. The best way to make a "multi options end-user
desktop port" is mplayer port (i.e. autodetect and messages to notify
available non-selected/detected knobs).
Default options (i.e. for packages building) are your choice.
Personnaly, I would choose more useful/common options.

I just have a look at your port, I think the best way is a "mplayer-like ports".

That's all folks :)

Regards,

clem