Permissions problem with evolution-devel

Scott Reese sreese at codysbooks.com
Wed Jun 4 12:35:14 PDT 2003

[please cc: me on any replies as I'm not currently subscribed to this
list.  Thank you.]

Hello,

I use the Gnome 2 desktop and thought I'd give Evolution a try.  This
is the second time I've tried installing it.  It seems to build and
install without any problems and I even get through the initial set up
without any difficulties.  However, when I tell it to check my mail, I
get the following error message:

Error while 'Storing folder 'home/scott/evolution/local/Inbox'':
Cannot create folder lock on //home/scott/evolution/local/Inbox/mbox:
Permission denied

There was no pre-existing evolution folder in my home directory and
I'm somewhat mystified as to why Evolution itself would create folders
and files that it could not then access.

The permissions on the folder and its contents are as follows:

borges[106]% ls -l | grep evolution
drwx------   5 scott  wheel   512 Jun  4 12:22 evolution/

borges[107]% ls -l evolution
total 16
-r--r--r--   1 scott  wheel   224 Jun  4 12:19 addressbook-sources.xml
drwxr-xr-x  10 scott  wheel   512 Jun  4 12:19 local/
drwx------   4 scott  wheel   512 Jun  4 12:22 mail/
-r--r--r--   1 scott  wheel  3194 Jun  4 12:19 searches.xml
-rw-r--r--   1 scott  wheel   395 Jun  4 12:20 shortcuts.xml
-r--r--r--   1 scott  wheel   712 Jun  4 12:19 vfolders.xml
drwxr-xr-x   6 scott  wheel   512 Jun  4 12:19 views/

borges[113]% ls -l evolution/local/Inbox
total 40
-r--r--r--  1 scott  wheel    103 Jun  4 12:19 folder-metadata.xml
-rw-------  1 scott  wheel     95 Jun  4 12:20 local-metadata.xml
-r--r--r--  1 scott  wheel  22371 Jun  4 12:19 mbox
-rw-------  1 scott  wheel    166 Jun  4 12:20 mbox.ev-summary
-rw-------  1 scott  wheel  10240 Jun  4 12:20 mbox.ibex.index
-rw-------  1 scott  wheel   1388 Jun  4 12:20 mbox.ibex.index.data

All of the files in the listings were created by the program itself
upon first starting up.  Does anyone know why this would be happening
and how I might go about fixing this without having to manually go
through and set the correct permissions on each individual file?

borges[114]% uname -a
FreeBSD borges.codysbooks.com 5.1-BETA FreeBSD 5.1-BETA #0: Wed May  7
11:06:23 PDT 2003
root at borges.codysbooks.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BORGES  i386

I've tried searching google and the list archives without any success
thus far.  I also sent a message to questions@ a while ago but
received no response.  Hopefully, I have found the right list.  Any
pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Scott