[kde-freebsd] Re: HEADS UP: Big change to x11/kde3 (Read carefully!)

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Mon Jun 2 17:19:17 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Will Andrews wrote:

> Do you actually know what happened with the meta-port today?  All
> that changed was the restoration of old behavior (and the
> addition of a knob for the ignorant users that don't know kdebase
> is a minimal KDE install).  Who lost what today?

I lost knowing that by installing x11/kde3 I was stuck with only ONE port
I did not want. Now I have to deal with remembering ALL the ports (I
always forget artsd, it doesnt associate itself with KDE very well) or
deal with at least 6 ports I don't want. I don't use 'portupgrade' for
everything. Believe it or not, the ports system is still designed to work
with 'make', and asking me to forsake that for portupgrade is irritating.

> The meta-port was never customizable to the extent that you want,
> nor is there a good reason to do that.  Again, I ask, what is
> wrong with typing "portinstall kdebase <kde-whatever>" as opposed
> to your solution, to add this list to /etc/make.conf?

As I said, koffice was the only port I did not want. The new change
introduces at least 6 that I do not want and forces me to do the whole
thing manually. A "minimal" install of base+libs is completely worthless.
I was offering my *opinion* that more flexible dependencies would be nice.
The ports system is quite capable of dealing with it.

What I was NOT expecting was to be flamed for not agreeing with the port
maintainers.