[kde-freebsd] Re: HEADS UP: Big change to x11/kde3 (Read carefully!)

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Mon Jun 2 17:04:22 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Will Andrews wrote:

> USE_GNOME isn't a user-adjustable variable.  It lists
> dependencies of a port (that have to do with GNOME).  Sure, you
> can specify WITHOUT_GNOME=<whatever> but if you don't
> HAVE_GNOME=<dependencies> of a specific port you can't install it.

It was just an example...

> What is the point of having a variable like this, when you can
> just install what you want the first time around and let
> portupgrade upgrade them for you?  It just adds needless
> complexity to the KDE ports.

I'm not saying modify the kde slave ports, just the metaport.

You may disagree with this, but in some circles being a *user* makes my
opinion more important than the opinion of developers. I'm sure everyone
will get used to the new behavior and adapt, but I still see it as a loss.