[kde-freebsd] Re: HEADS UP: Big change to x11/kde3 (Read carefully!)

Wesley Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Mon Jun 2 16:47:22 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Will Andrews wrote:

> The problem is, everyone has their pet peeve about the meta-port:
> they don't want one of {koffice,kdegames,kdeutils,kdepim,...}.
> Our response to solve this is to make it depend on everything by
> default.  Sure we could make a zillion more meta-ports but
> there's really no good reason to.  There's always kdebase for
> people that want a minimal install, and custom installs can be
> done by adding the other parts the user wants.  Or just
> everything with the meta-port.  The meta-port was *never* a
> minimal install, by the way.  Not once in the 3-4 years I've been
> maintaining the KDE ports was it ever.  In fact, up until 2.2 or
> so, it WAS everything in KDE.  This restores that behavior, which
> was changed for release engineering reasons only (re@ now uses
> kdebase on disc1 releases).

Then I would prefer a solution that was more configurable than 'minimal
KDE'. You have all the package names and your own set of variables in
bsd.kde.mk. Simply create a variable for something like "KDE_PACKAGES" and
default it to *all* packages. Those of us who don't want all can just put
a list of them in pkgtools.conf or /etc/make.conf .. This would improve
over the previous method as well. I'm no ports expert, but something
similar to what the 'gnomeng' does with package dependencies.

USE_GNOME=      gnomeprefix gnomehack gnomehier libwnck gnomedesktop

Like that. At least, it seems like something similar would work here for
KDE.