Pear, PHP4 and preg_match()

Jan Siml jsi at jules.de
Sun Jul 20 13:53:01 PDT 2003

Dear Thierry,

> > I'm using PHP 4.3.3 and the Pear framework from the ports. When trying to
> > install or upgrade an existing version of the pear framework or even
> > modules I got the following error:
> >
> > jan at alanis:/usr/ports/devel/pear-PEAR# make reinstall clean
> > ===>  Extracting for pear-PEAR-1.2.b2
> >  >> Checksum OK for PEAR/PEAR-1.2b2.tgz.
> > ===>  Patching for pear-PEAR-1.2.b2
> > ===>   pear-PEAR-1.2.b2 depends on file:
> > /usr/local/share/pear/Archive/Tar.php - found
> > ===>   pear-PEAR-1.2.b2 depends on file:
> > /usr/local/share/pear/Console/Getopt.php - found
> > ===>  Configuring for pear-PEAR-1.2.b2
> > ===>  Installing for pear-PEAR-1.2.b2
> > ===>   pear-PEAR-1.2.b2 depends on file:
> > /usr/local/share/pear/Archive/Tar.php - found
> > ===>   pear-PEAR-1.2.b2 depends on file:
> > /usr/local/share/pear/Console/Getopt.php - found
> > ===>   Generating temporary packing list
> > ===>  Checking if devel/pear-PEAR already installed
> >
> > Fatal error: Call to undefined function:  preg_match() in
> > /usr/local/share/pear/PEAR/Frontend/CLI.php on line 53
> > *** Error code 255
>
>preg_match() is part of PCRE (Perl Compatible Regular Expressions). When
>you install PHP by the FreeBSD port / package, PCRE is selected by
>default, and that should work. Perhaps have you de-selected it? You can
>check phpinfo (or just `php -i').

I de- and reinstalled the php4-port several times. I've checked always the
default selections and removed every php4 related option from pkgtools.conf
and make.conf. It didn't worked. I now deinstalled all pear-ports, removed
the directory /usr/local/share/pear and php4. After reinstalling everything
it works. I installed pear before pear-PEAR now. Maybe this was the
problem? Don't know. But I'm happy to see it working now.

Thanks and regards

Jan

--
"For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running under
NT, which makes about as much sense as building a prison out of meringue."