Normal build behavior

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Fri Jul 18 14:40:01 PDT 2003

I'm testing a perl port that I want to submit.  Before I submit it, I want
to be sure it passes the 'Recommended test ordering' listed in the
Porters-handbook.  In doing some testing, I looked at several other p5
ports in ports/net.  I ran across something interesting.

For the majority of net/p5-*,  They all build:

	sdn-ns# make install

	sdn-ns# make package
	===>  Building package for p5-SOCKS-0.03
	Creating package /usr/ports/net/p5-Socks/p5-SOCKS-0.03.tgz
	Registering depends:.
	Creating gzip'd tar ball in '/usr/ports/net/p5-Socks/p5-SOCKS-0.03.tgz'

	sdn-ns# make deinstall
	===>  Deinstalling for net/p5-Socks
	===>   Deinstalling p5-SOCKS-0.03

	sdn-ns# pkg_add p5-SOCKS-0.03.tgz

	sdn-ns# make deinstall
	===>  Deinstalling for net/p5-Socks
	===>   p5-SOCKS-0.03 has a different PREFIX: /usr/local
	., skipping

Is this normal for deinstallation?  If I try to 'make reinstall' after
this, it looks as if the port is STILL installed:

	sdn-ns# make reinstall
	===>  Installing for p5-SOCKS-0.03
	===>   Generating temporary packing list
	===>  Checking if net/p5-Socks already installed
	===>   p5-SOCKS-0.03 is already installed
	      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
	      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
	      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of net/p5-Socks
	      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
	      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
	*** Error code 1

	Stop in /usr/ports/net/p5-Socks.
	*** Error code 1

	Stop in /usr/ports/net/p5-Socks.

Is this behavior normal?  portlint says the port is OK.  Please advise.

Nick Rogness <nick at rogness.net>
-
  How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
  				-Emo Philips