Patch port nss_ldap's Makefile for ldap.conf location

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 18 09:18:38 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:14:18PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> * Jacques A. Vidrine:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 01:07:53PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> >
> > > Please find  below a patch that  fixes the location of  ldap.conf to
> > > reflect the location specified by the associated port pam_ldap.  The
> > > config file should be $(PREFIX)/etc/ldap.conf, not /etc/ldap.conf.
> >
> > Heh, sorry.  I remember scratching my head about the default
> > location myself, but it never occurred to me to do something about
> > it :-)
> >
> > I agree that it should be under ${PREFIX}, and the location
> > mentioned at install time.  I wonder if additionally it
> > should be named something specific to this port ... I
> > wouldn't want the configuration file to clash with some other
> > use of OpenLDAP.  Perhaps ${PREFIX}/etc/nss_ldap.conf and
> > ${PREFIX}/etc/nss_ldap.secret?
>
> The comment  in the head  of ldap.conf states  that this file  is shared
> between nss_ldap and pam_ldap.  I don't consider the extra nss_ldap.conf
> as a  benefit, but  as an extra  work for the  ports maintainer  and the
> user.

I buy that argument: PADL.com's nss_ldap and pam_ldap should probably
reference the same configuration file, which should be separate from
OpenLDAP's configuration file.

If I can talk the pam_ldap port maintainer (Hi, Marcus!) into renaming
the pam_ldap configuration file to, say, `${PREFIX}/etc/padl.conf', then
I'll do likewise for nss_ldap.

${PREFIX}/etc/ldap.conf and ${PREFIX}/etc/openldap/ldap.conf seem too
close for comfort IMHO.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org . jvidrine at verio.net . nectar at freebsd.org . nectar at kth.se