Patch port nss_ldap's Makefile for ldap.conf location

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 18 09:12:51 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 06:04:50PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:
> If I understand correctly your point, each LDAP client should have its
> own config file?

s/should/could/

> OpenLDAP client in
> $(LOCALBASE)/etc/openldap/ldap.conf, pam_ldap in
> $(LOCALBASE)/etc/pam_ldap.conf and nss_ldap in
> $(LOCALBASE)/etc/nss_ldap.conf?
>
> That makes three files or more in the future to keep in sync when
> changing the server URI...  I'd prefer only one file, the one from
> OpenLDAP.  Does it make sense to have a different LDAP server for every
> client program?

Yes, it does.  That's why you'll find most LDAP-using applications have
a `LDAP server' configuration knob (among other LDAP knobs).

If you want one file, you can symlink/hard link them.  But if we don't
use different names, there would be no way to separate the system
nss_ldap configuration from, say, the default configuration of the
OpenLDAP command line tools.

> It _could_ make sense to have separate config files if we consider eg
> binding anon or root depending on the client program involved, or
> setting a specific option.

Right.  Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org . jvidrine at verio.net . nectar at freebsd.org . nectar at kth.se