netpbm-Port

Wed Jul 16 10:53:03 PDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 17:05:47 +0200
Andreas Barth <aba at not.so.argh.org> wrote:

Please keep ports@ in CC.

> at debian we're having problems with netpbm. This includes:
> - the many different licences that need permanent licence auditing

We don't have such a strict policy about licenses as debian has, so this
isn't such an important issue for us. We handle the important issues
(e.g. the netpbm package doesn't get shipped on CDs because we aren't
allowed to sell it), but we don't care that much about the differences
in "free beer" vs. "free speech" as debian does.

> - unwillingness to use manpages
> - inconsistent interface

Both points aren't nice, but we don't have the same quality policy for
3rd party programs as we have for the base system. We provide what we
get, it's up to the user to install and use 3rd party programs or not.
If the user thinks he can handle the netpbm suite: fine; if not: it's ok
for us too.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.