portupgrade/make install problem.

Jamie Jones jamie at bishopston.net
Mon Jul 14 16:05:42 PDT 2003

>===>   Generating temporary packing list
>===>  Checking if sysutils/portupgrade already
> installed
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade.

Yes, I'd noticed this too - only today. It appears the Mk file has
been changed to use the -O option of pkg_info

That is a new option, that wasn't added to pkg_info on a release
version until FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE

So someone will either have to regress it, or you'll need to upgrade
to freebsd 4.8, or patch pkg_info (/usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/info)

Work Around
~~~~~~~~~~~
Define the environment variable
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER to anything from the command line before running
the install, it will work (as it will skip the part that checks if the port
is already installed.)

Fix
~~~
For my machine on 4.4 I needed to download and replace /usr/share/Mk/*
and then /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/* from the freebsd 4.8 sources.

Your /usr/share/Mk may be recent enough.. I don't know.

from there, cd to /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install and
make
make install
make clean

Alternatively, download my binaries, made from 4.8-release sources.
De-tar the bzipped archive, and move the
files from usr.sbin into /usr/sbin and the files from usr.share.man.man1
into /usr/share/man/man1 - being careful to preserve file permissions.

http://www.bishopston.com/jamie/pkg_install/pkg_install_binaries_4.8.tar.bz2

(approx 90K)

Cheers, Jamie