make install fails

Dave Goode dave at davegoode.net
Mon Jul 14 01:10:34 PDT 2003

On Monday 14 Jul 2003 04:13, you wrote:

> > Now, when I do either a portupgrade, or a make install, make *always*
> > fails at the same point with the same error message. It makes no
> > difference whether it's a fresh install or an upgrade.
> >
> > Has something changed with the BSD Makefile? Here's an example (though it
> > affects everything, not just this example, and I can no longer install
> > any ports):

> Yes, I'd noticed this too, only today - it appears the Mk file has
> been changed to use the -O option of pkg_info
> That is a new option, that wasn't added to pkg_info on a release
> version until FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE
> So someone will either have to regress it, or you'll need to upgrade
> to freebsd 4.8, or patch pkg_info (/usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/info)

Is this a wise move? One of the things I've liked about FreeBSD over the years
is that it just works (most of the time!), with no compulsion to move to the
next version. If this is the case, surely we are now compelled to upgrade or
patch whether we want to or not?

I hope this new development is either backed out, or made backwards-compatible
in some way to permit versions < 4,8 to continue working.

> As a work around, if you define the environment variable
> FORCE_PKG_REGISTER to anything from the command line before running
> the install, it will work (as it will skip the part that checks if the port
> is already installed.)

Thanks, Jamie. I'll give that a try today and see if it works for me.

Dave

--
Dave Goode
http://www.davegoode.net/