portupgrade -Rra fails on 4.8-RELEASE

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Thu Jul 3 01:15:58 PDT 2003

On Thursday 03 July 2003 12:31 am, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 July 2003 05:04 am, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >>with cvsupped ports tree as of just now.
> >>
> >>Building for XFree86-clients-4.3.0_2
> >>making all in lib/lbxutil/lbx_zlib...
> >>making all in lib/lbxutil/delta...
> >>making all in lib/lbxutil/image...
> >>making all in programs/appres...
> >>making all in programs/bdftopcf...
> >>rm -f bdftopcf
> >>cc -o bdftopcf -L/usr/X11R6/lib/ -ansi -Dasm=__asm -Wall -Wpointer-arith
> >>-Wundef     -L/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-clients/work/xc/exports/lib
> >>bdftopcf.o -lXfont -lfntstubs  -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lz -lm
> >>-Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib
> >>/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lXfont
> >>*** Error code 1
> >>
> >>the reason? portupgrade appears to have blown away libXfont.a:
> >>
> >>-su-2.05b# locate Xfont
> >>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.a
> >>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.so
> >>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.so.1
> >>/usr/X11R6/lib/libXfontcache.a
> >>-su-2.05b# ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.a
> >>ls: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXfont.a: No such file or directory
> >>
> >>I guess I can install it by hand (if I can figure out where it comes
> >>from), but surely this shouldn't happen?
> >
> > Portupgrade didn't do it. You had an old version of XFree86-server and
> > deinstalling it deleted the font. You have to reinstall XFree86-libraries
> > to reinstall the fonts.
>
> Shouldn't portupgrade take care of that, though?

Not in this case because as a sequence you upgrade the library and then, at a
later point, you upgrade the server. When you upgrade the server, the damage
is done and portupgrade can't possibly know about it. It depends on the files
in the -plist and when files are moved from one segment of the meta-port to
another, portupgrade doesn't know about that.

It was the deinstall of the older XFree86-server with the bad(?) plist that
did it. The same thing would have happened if you had done the upgrade
yourself. You wouldn't have had any problem if you had deleted all of the
XFree86 ports and then installed them but you couldn't have used portupgrade
to do that.

Kent

Kent

--