NEdit and OpenMotif 2.2 - crashes?

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Tue Dec 9 16:34:55 PST 2003

Hi Dan,

> I have had 5.3 crash a few times -- usually when having multiple
> files open and trying to close one of them.  I do not use text
> highlighting or some of the more possibly complicated features
> of nedit, so my experience may not be the norm.

I am using NEdit for a long time now, and it crashed only once -- this
was when I wrote you a private message.

I must say that I was really shocked because of that crash, because I use
NEdit for pretty much everything (admittedly, I start using vim for more
and more tasks, but lazy as I am I still stick with my old tools ;-) As
you say futher down in your email, people "get really pissed when their
editors crash and they lose work".

That's why I started some expermients with 5.4RC2. First, I build it
with lesstif as suggested by the NEdit people. I used the most recent
version that was available at that time (probably 0.93.94 or 0.93.91),
and I must say that that did not convince me at all: I had focus
problems with the search dialogue, lesstif complained about deprecated
library functions when I launched NEdit, the widgets looked ugly^W
unfamiliar, ...

> But, version 5.4 is about to be announced and the nedit developers
> have added code that explicitly checks for openmotif 2.2.1 and
> abort the build if it is found.  They are very adamant that
> you should not use openmotif 2.2.  nedit-5.4 may well tickle
> more bugs with openmotif.  I've posted this in the last message,
> but it bears reiterating:

I am using NEdit 5.4RC that has been build against a OpenMotif 2.2.2,
and I did not have a single problem since then.

>   http://www.motifdeveloper.com/tips/tip22.html
>
> It does not seem suitable for a stable release.  I'd have no
> problem with having an openmotif-devel that was used this
> version, but I think the openmotif port should go back to
> the last stable release.

Regarding my experiences with lesstif I fully agree with that. I don't
think that the NEdit developers are making up the problems with OpenMotif
2.2.2, and I am really not keen on discovering them.

Cheers,
 Simon