xmlcatmgr & docproj broken?

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Mon Dec 29 16:02:36 PST 2003

>From: Kent Stewart <kstewart at owt.com>
>To: Kenneth W Cochran <kwc at TheWorld.com>, Sergei Kolobov <sergei at freebsd.org>
>Subject: Re: xmlcatmgr & docproj broken?
>Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:50:31 -0800
>Cc: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
>
>On Monday 29 December 2003 09:56 am, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> >Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:42:52 +0300
>>
>> From: Sergei Kolobov <sergei at FreeBSD.org>
>>
>> >To: Hiroki Sato <hrs at FreeBSD.org>
>> >Cc: kwc at TheWorld.com, kuriyama at FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports at FreeBSD.org
>> >Subject: Re: xmlcatmgr & docproj broken?

>> > CATALOG docbook/dsssl/modular/catalog

>> >I cannot reproduce the problem here: I just upgraded xmlcatmgr to
>> >version 1.2 on a box that had 1.1 installed previously.
>> >
>> >I have seen similar problems in the past (i.e. before my recent commit
>> >to upgrade xmlcatmgr to 1.2) where ${PREFIX}/share/xml/catalog existed,
>> >but it wasn't a true XML catalog (i.e. created in pre-xmlcatmgr era).
>> >In those cases, running portupgrade -fR docbook-* to force
>> >rebuilding/reinstalling docbook ports and all dependencies helped.
>> >YMMV, though.

>> >I cannot see any problem in the port's skeleton.

>> >Please explain.
>> >
>> >Sergei
>>
>> Maybe the problem is really with dsssl-docbook-modular?
>> That's the port that is making the specific install error {shrug}.
>>

>There is more to it than that. It was updated and never portupgraded after
>that.
>
>/usr/local/bin/xmlcatmgr -sc /usr/local/share/sgml/catalog.ports add CATALOG
>docbook/dsssl/modular/catalog
>xmlcatmgr: entry already exists
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/dsssl-docbook-modular.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/ports/textproc/dsssl-docbook-modular.
>** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade48345.0
>make DEPENDS_TARGET=package -DFORCE_PKG_REGISTER reinstall
>--->  Restoring the old version
>** Fix the installation problem and try again.
>[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 186 packages
>found (-0 +1) . done]
>** The following packages were not installed or upgraded
>(*:skipped / !:failed)
>        ! textproc/dsssl-docbook-modular (dsssl-docbook-modular-1.78_3,1)
>(install error)
>

>--
>Kent Stewart
>Richland, WA
>
>http://users.owt.com/kstewart/index.html

Sooooo...  Advice/recommendation(s)?
e.g. File a pr?  Watch for relevant update(s) in the ports tree?

JFTR I was updating xmlcatmgr, but by the "old fashioned way" ;),
by pkg_delete'ing its dependencies (target port being textproc/docproj),
re-make/installing the various required pieces
and getting "stuck" at dsssl-docbook-modular.

-kc