python version, zope and portupgrade

Khairil Yusof kaeru at streamyx.com
Mon Dec 29 06:00:10 PST 2003

I'm trying to port the Plone CMF Collective, and running into trouble
with different versions of python modules.

Setting USE_ZOPE=yes forces PYTHON_VERSION=python2.1

What then happens is that any CMF modules, I create, will try to compile
any python module dependencies as py21-foo. Most likely there is already
a py23-foo and make install will fail, saying wrongly, that older
version is already installed.

There really are no conflicts, since they are stored in different
site-package directories, and both versions should be able to co-exist.
This also affects portupgrade which tries to upgrade the py21 ports.

What's the proper way to resolve this?

Thanks.