Archiver packages on FreeBSD CD 1

Yar Tikhiy yar at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 23 02:25:48 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 05:56:38PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 11:12:38AM +0300, Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>
> > I dreaded secretly that that was the real reason for those packages
> > to appear on disk 1.  All right, let it be so.  But if there were some
> > spare kilobytes on disk 1, I would not be the only one who wanted to
> > see unarj and unrar there, too.  They aren't large at all, and you
> > know, having a particular archiver handy often is like possessing the
> > right key to the door into the magic garden :-)
>
> Disk 1 has no free space, and often requires further pruning.

A possible way of doing so can be removing numerous 10-year old
variants and versions from tools/, along with no longer functional
bits like fbsdboot.exe.  I'm afraid including a program that stopped
working several years ago into the distribution won't encourage
anyone to fix it.  But excuse me, discussing that would be an
off-topic here.

--
Yar