WITH variables for shells

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 14 10:19:19 PST 2003

Is there any way we can unify the WITH variables that are used for
specifying a static shells.  A quick check of several ports showed the
following

bash2: WANT_STATIC_BASH
zsh:   NOSHARED
ksh93: WANT_STATIC

44bsd-csh and bash1 have no way to specify a static version.  And pdksh
is static by default, and has no method to specify dynamic.

I have no particular favorite.  But it would be great if they were all
the same so a single make.conf variable could be used.  That still
leaves the option of specifying this in pkgtools.conf for those that
only want a single shell to be static.

Just food for thought.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at mindspring.com