NEdit and OpenMotif 2.2 - crashes?

Dan Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Tue Dec 9 15:16:44 PST 2003

Andrew J Caines wrote:
> [Subject line added]

Hmm, sorry about that.

> Daniel,
>

>>I am the maintainer of the nedit port...
>

> Thank you for doing so. I've been using NEdit since way back in the
> beginning and it's still the best X11 editor.
>

>>Using openmotif-2.2 causes nedit (and supposedly other
>>applications) to crash.
>

> I'm using nedit-5.3 with open-motif-2.2.2_1 and have never had any
> problems with this or any other version. In fact, I don't think I've ever
> known nedit to crash.
>
> Care to share some infromation on these crashes?

I have had 5.3 crash a few times -- usually when having multiple
files open and trying to close one of them.  I do not use text
highlighting or some of the more possibly complicated features
of nedit, so my experience may not be the norm.

But, version 5.4 is about to be announced and the nedit developers
have added code that explicitly checks for openmotif 2.2.1 and
abort the build if it is found.  They are very adamant that
you should not use openmotif 2.2.  nedit-5.4 may well tickle
more bugs with openmotif.  I've posted this in the last message,
but it bears reiterating:

   http://www.motifdeveloper.com/tips/tip22.html

It does not seem suitable for a stable release.  I'd have no
problem with having an openmotif-devel that was used this
version, but I think the openmotif port should go back to
the last stable release.

Folks can handle mozilla, xine, xmms, and other applications
crashing, but they get pretty pissed when their editors crash
and they lose work.