[DRAFT] ports contributor's guide

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Dec 8 12:17:59 PST 2003

> Are you suggesting a procedure by which a committer who has some doubts

> about a port should handle the situation?

I think the suggestion should be there that such a dialog can and should
exist,
that's all, whether between the maintainer/submitter or on freebsd-ports.

> As discussed below, I don't think adding the "make sure your port is
> useful" test to the PH would be helpful as written, but perhaps "2.6
> Submitting the port" could be extended with more details about the
> actions taken by a committer when reviewing a port submission (ie,
> testing it with portlint et al, checking to see whether the port is
> filed in the right category, seeing whether the port submission
> duplicates existing ports, etc).

See PRs docs/53422, 53424, and 53425 for some ideas I have along
those lines.

> I think guidelines like these would indicate that there is a review
> process AND also help explain why it takes a while for submissions to
> be processed, without needlessly emphasizing to a new porter that
> one's port submission might fail such a review.

An excellent point.

> OK.  Maybe: "In the event that the committer reviewing the port
> submission encounters a problem, being willing to maintain the port
> you have submitted will help to resolve such problems more rapidly"...?

No, not really :-)  I think it should be stated more in terms that you
are doing the project an appreciated favor if you agree to be the
maintainer.

 From what I can tell committers commit whatever amuses them,
I don't think whether there is a maintainer line or not has any
effect on whether they are amused or not :-)

mcl