2 ports broken after gcc import

Kenneth Culver culverk at yumyumyum.org
Sat Aug 30 09:22:20 PDT 2003

> I think I missed the message that this is a response to, but here's an
> answer to the question: UFS_ACL controls only the introduction of ACL
> code into UFS1 and UFS2 file systems, and enables conditional use of
> ACLs code if the ACLs flag is set on a file system.  If the ACLs flag is
> not set on a file system, the UFS1/UFS2 code is intended to run along
> its original permissions-based code path.  Devfs isn't based on UFS, and
> so it should be unaffected by the UFS_ACL flag.  If there's a definite
> causal relationship between UFS_ACL and the nmap failure, I can't help
> but wonder if it's a result of a timing, code layout, or memory
> allocation change of some sort.  I wouldn't rule out a bug in the ACL
> code, but it seems somewhat unlikely as, without the ACLs flag set, the
> code path in the UFS code should be minimally changed...
>
> The best path to track this down is to try to figure out for sure which
> system call is failing, compare expected vs. wire network transmissions,
> and see if we can reproduce this in a simpler test program.
>
> We've recently made some changes in how the permissions of new objects
> are calculated using ACLs; they were made somewhat before the gcc
> changes, I believe, but it might also be interesting to see test cases
> from before both changes, in between the changes, and after both, to
> confirm that it was definitely the gcc change that kicked off the
> problem, rather than the UFS change.  Finally, I'd like to know what, if
> any, optimization flags you're using for the kernel compile...

Well, don't worry too much, I went back and checked the kernel config I
used for the kernel that was having problems, and it did indeed have
IPFILTER compiled in, BUT I had no rules loading. Both of the rules files
were empty. (That's basically what I said in my previous message). I just
took me the better part of a night to sort out what I had on that box and
remember what I did. Anyway, like I said, I won't be back on that box
until Tuesday so I'll have to let you know which knob I turned then...
although if it WAS the firewall that's really wierd since I had no rules
loaded, and my other box that never had the problem DID have rules loaded.

Ken