packages for alpha 4-stable

G.W.Roberts mas039 at bangor.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 08:08:13 PDT 2003

I'd appreciate some general organisational information about how the package
files are generated.  My query is prompted by trying to obtain package files
for alpha from packages-4-stable (in particular kde-3.1.3 because of the
security fix).

I look on three sites:
 (1) ftp.freebsd.org/ports/{alpha,i386}
 (2) http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/{alpha,i386}-packages-4-{full,latest}
 (3) http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/packages/3.1.3

The package files are available for both i386/4-stable and i386/5-current
and for alpha/5-current, but I cannot find any for alpha/4-stable.
I could find no log or error information on bento regarding kde-3.1.3 for
alpha/4-stable.  Is this to be expected or has there been an oversight or
have I missed something?  Or is the compilation still continuing somewhere?
Do I just wait or should I email someone?
Similar situations have occurred in the past.

I stress that this is NOT a complaint as I know the time and effort required
to compile these vast codes and appreciate the hard work of those involved.
Of course it is precisely because of the long compile time that I am looking
for the package files.

But I don't know who is involved on ftp.freebsd and how those updating bento
and rarbarber communicate with those on ftp.freebsd.  Also whether an updated
port automatically triggers someone to try to create the associated package.

I'd appreciate if someone can enlighten me.  Is there a FAQ or other document
that outlines the general procedures undertaken for producing these central
repositories of packages?

--
Dr G W Roberts                             Dr G W Roberts
Adran Mathemateg                           Department of Mathematics

Email: G.W.Roberts at bangor.ac.uk
Tel:   +44 (0)1248 382480 / 382686
Ffacs: +44 (0)1248 361429
WWW: http://www.informatics.bangor.ac.uk