comms/mwavem on -CURRENT -- known broken?

Michael Edenfield kutulu at kutulu.org
Mon Aug 18 19:18:46 PDT 2003

I didn't see anything in the archives on this (but the search link
from www.freebsd.org appears broken) or google, so perhaps it's
something specific to my machine, but:

I have an ISA modem that I beleive requires the mwavem port.  However,
when I try to install the port, I run into two problems.

minor/easily fixed problem:

make install tries to run "mkdev" even though I have devfs.  It
currently skips that step only if building a package.  It should
probably also/instead check /etc/fstab for a devfs entry.  But that's
easily solved, no biggie.

bigger problem that's out of my league:

when I actually load the module, it attaches correctly and I get a
device attachment on the console on the isa bus, then immediately:

panic: Invalid major (-1001230304) in make_dev

and I'm dropped into ddb.  Unfortuantely since it's a port module I'm
not sure it's even possible to build directly into the kernel to get
debugging symbols and go any further.

Is this a known issue or does my modem just suck? :)

--Mike