FreeBSD Port: courier-imap-2.1.0

Shawn Yeager mail at shawnyeager.com
Mon Aug 18 07:44:09 PDT 2003

Hi, Oliver. I'm running on a hosted jail, which is the following:

- FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE
- Dual proc i686 I *think* -- dmesg has scrolled out
- 2.5 gigs RAM
- 2 gigs swap

As I've been watching, it appears to be specific to Apple Mail on OS X.
If I access from SquirrelMail (browser) or Evolution (under a FreeBSD
workstation), I don't see the problem. However, the moment I cause a
message copy (move, delete, etc.) under Apple Mail, I can just sit and
watch the imapd process climb and climb, hitting up to 80% CPU
utilization until I kill it off.

To be clear, this did *not* happen under courier-imap 2.0.

I'm running stock config and rc.d scripts, running both imapd and
imapd-ssl scripts for SquirrelMail and secure native client access,
respectively. However, I can reproduce this problem over both port 143
and 993 with Apple Mail.

Please let me know if I can help further.

On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 10:26  AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> Hi Shawn,
>
> Whats your system configuration? I can't reporduce it here. Here means:
>
> 	FreeBSD 5.1/alpha
> 	EV45 600MHz
> 	758 MB RAM
>
> The CPU utilization I have is:
>
>   PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU
> COMMAND
> 20394 vpopmail  97    0  2488K  1680K select   0:01  1.15%  1.07% imapd
>
> Thats during my IMAP session (opening folders, reading emails and so
> on).
>

>   Greetings, Oliver

Shawn

--