FreeBSD Port: mplayer-0.90.0.110_2 and RealAudio doesn't find linux libm

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Wed Aug 13 18:28:17 PDT 2003

I have installed the subject mplayer port and the linux-realplayer port
on FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE.  Trying to decode a .rm file using the RealAudio
encoding results in the error message:

Error: Shared object "libm.so.6" not found

That file is present in /usr/compat/linux/lib/libm.so.6, but that
directory is apparently not in the search path.  Adding that directory
to LD_LIBRARY_PATH solves the problem, but it seems that might cause
some the linux library to be selected by non-linux programs.

I tried building mplayer with that directory added to the
--with-extralibdir configure argument, but that didn't help (I presume
because it's not the mplayer binary that needs to load libm, but rather
the sipr.so.6 codec library that needs it, and I'm not sure how mplayer
loads codecs that are linux libraries).

This question was asked on the mplayer-users list where the answer
suggested installing symlinks to the desired files, or to run ldconfig.
  What is the correct approach?

-- Steve