Update www/opera to 7.x beta, or repo-copy?

Arjan van Leeuwen avleeuwen at piwebs.com
Tue Aug 12 03:31:05 PDT 2003

Hi,

Yesterday, Opera 7.20 Beta 3 for FreeBSD was released (the first 7.x version
for FreeBSD). I'm planning on taking maintainership of the www/opera port (if
no one objects, of course) and updating it.

There's a bit of a dilemma here. Would it be better to get a new port,
www/opera7 for this (because 7.20 B3 is still beta), or to update the
existing www/opera port to 7.20 B3?

I personally think the latter is a better idea, because www/opera is at this
moment pretty unstable. 7.20 B3 is a lot better. Also, there is no
development anymore going on in the 6.x tree at Opera, so there won't be any
other updates to www/opera.

What do you think? If we all agree on this, I'll send in a PR today.

Best regards,

Arjan