m4-macros for different versions in /usr/local/share/aclocal?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Thu Aug 7 19:52:04 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 18:36, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> On 07.08.2003 22:13, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>
>  > On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 16:04, Jens Rehsack wrote:
>  >
>  >> Hi,
>

> [...]
>
>  >> One step could be, putting the aclocal self related macros
>  >> into a directory which is ever named as the aclocal
>  >> /usr/local/share/aclocal{14,15,17}/ version and put port
>  >> additions ever to /usr/local/share/aclocal/. Or the ports
>  >> put their additions to /usr/local/share/aclocal/${port}/
>  >
>  >
>  > I like this syntax better.
>  >
>  >> and eg. USE_LIBTOOL extends ACLOCAL_SEARCH_DIR to according
>  >> directory. ACLOCAL_ARGS will be extended by the resulting
>  >> search path, each dir prepended by the '-I' parameter
>  >> (using REINPLACE).
>  >>
>  >> The consequence would be, that each of those ports must
>  >> have a USE_${PORT} equivalent und bsd.port.mk (or included
>  >> .mk of it, eg. bsd.gnome.mk).
>  >>
>  >> What does the rest of FreeBSD ports people think about that?
>  >
>  >
>  > I agree with this, and I have suggested it to Ade.  That is one of the
>

> When did you? Did he answer your recognization?

Ade has been busy (away?) recently, but I hope he will take my
suggestion (and yours) into consideration when he does his next big GNU
tools commit.  I have also sent him a patch to get USE_LIBTOOL working
for libtool14+.

>  > hang ups I'm running into with anjuta-devel.
>

> Oh, good. Somewhere to steal the solution from :-)

As soon as the aclocal thing is resolved, and USE_LIBTOOL works for
libtool14+, I think we will be able to remove a lot of patches and hacks
from the ports tree.

Joe