make install fails (4-STABLE)

Fernan Aguero fernan_aguero at yahoo.com.ar
Thu Aug 7 13:19:01 PDT 2003

Hi!

Problem: make install fails on each and every port:
===>    Checking if ....... alredy installed
*** Error code 1

Yes I've already searched the archives and noticed
some
problems a few weeks ago. They mentioned that this
problem was affecting previous versions of FreeBSD.

However I've been running 4.8-STABLE for months. To be
sure I updated my ports tree and sources yesterday and
remade the world and kernel. The problem keeps
affecting me.

FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE (Aug 5 2003)

I also recreated my INDEX, INDEX.db and pkgdb.db
files, just in case the problem was somewhere else:
cd /usr/ports
mv INDEX INDEX.backup
mv INDEX.db INDEX.db.backup
make index
portsdb -u
cd /var/db/pkg
mv pkgdb.db pkgdb.db.backup
pkgdb -Fu

This didn't work either.

Now, I am able to bypass the problem if I set
FORCE_PKG_REGISTER. However I'd like to be able to use
my ports system w/o having to do this.

My questions:
i) if the problem was the use of the '-O' option with
pkg_info, why do I keep failing to install things if
my
pkg_info and bsd.port.mk are up to date? Is there any
other problem? (perhaps I missed it while reading the
archives)

ii) where else may I look into?

Thanks in advance,

Fernan

PS: please reply to this address since it is not
subscribed to the list

PS2: this is my third try to get this message posted.
I've already failed from my university and
netscape.net accounts. The problem seems to be at
freebsd.org, but I see some messages getting through
... can anyone check this?